Location: Philadelphia, PA
Reports to: Associate Director
Job Status: Internship
About Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia is building a just, green, and thriving economy. We empower the region’s diverse independent businesses to do well by doing good; we advance industries critical to a vibrant, local, equitable, and climate resilient economy; and we advocate for an economic ecosystem that centers localism, serves community needs, shares wealth, and protects the environment.
SBN’s members are local independent businesses that practice – and measure success by – the triple bottom line of people, planet, and profit. Our programming educates business owners about financially, socially, and environmentally responsible best practices; facilitates honest and supportive discussions among peers; and provides important opportunities for civic dialogue. Our advocacy focuses on solutions that advance a just, green, and thriving economy.
Since our founding in 2001, SBN has remained the region’s only membership and advocacy organization playing the important role of serving Greater Philadelphia’s independent values-driven business community.
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) seeks a Communications intern for Summer 2023. This high-exposure, exciting opportunity offers students interested in working to advance Greater Philadelphia’s independent values-driven business community through communications, marketing, assisting with our events, advocacy, and membership engagement. The position reports to the Associate Director with additional guidance from the Program and Membership Coordinator and will entail up to 10 hours per week. During the internship, individuals will have opportunities to learn about the organization beyond their specific tasks and receive regular supervision and feedback from members of the SBN team.
- Help maintain the visual and written identity of SBN in print and digital materials, write and distribute press releases, craft blog entries, and various other communication verticals
- Craft social media content and maintain social media calendar
- Develop graphics via Canva
- Cull outreach lists and provide database management for email and mail correspondence
- Research organizations, business, and community groups in the region to target for future outreach
- Assist with the planning and execution of all SBN programs, events, and other activities, both in-person and virtual, that includes Open Houses, Roundtables, business crawls, Quarterly meetings, committees and focus groups
- Provide administrative support and perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Interest in SBN’s mission and values
- Familiarity with a customer relationship management system preferred, but not necessary
- Knowledge of and experience with communications, public relations, and public outreach principles
- Great writing and communications skills, especially with social media and other digital channels
- Ability to prioritize work and multi-task
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office is required
- Basic knowledge of Greater Philadelphia area
The position will entail 35 hours a week and based in Philadelphia. Individuals must be able to work both remotely and in-person as SBN staff is on a hybrid working model until further notice. Individuals will receive college credit only.
How to Apply
Email a thoughtful cover letter and résumé as a single .pdf to email@example.com, with the subject line “SBN Communications Internship: Last name, First name.” We are looking for individuals to start June 2023. No phone calls please.
SBN is an equal opportunity employer. SBN is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage people of color and all gender identities and sexual orientations to apply for this and all open positions. SBN’s non-discrimination policy can be found here.