Sponsorship and Advertising Manager
Green Philly is a media company and benefit corporation that connects people to sustainability. Founded in 2008 as a solution to misconceptions about sustainability, we believe that informed citizens are the first step to fighting the climate crisis. Our mission is to make sustainability easy, accessible, and low-cost for the Philadelphia region and to inspire small, positive changes. We publish content and host events including SustainPHL. As a collaborative newsroom, Green Philly is an active partner in the Broke in Philly and Covering Climate Now collectives.
Mission Statement for Role: To increase revenue by building relationships with sponsors and advertisers for Green Philly, thus growing the scope and elevating the visibility of our work.
The Sponsorship and Advertising Manager will manage the sales cycle and financial growth – primarily through sponsors and advertisers – of Green Philly. This includes but is not limited to prospecting, sales cycle management, fostering sponsors, as well as building and maintaining working relationships. There’s flexibility to be innovative and create your own business development opportunities.
** We are seeking a candidate with a passion for the environment, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a strong belief in the importance of local media platforms. The ideal candidate is curious, loves to learn new things, is adaptable, and can help drive success while our organization is in a high-growth period. We’re a startup with a larger mission, while we balance our work ethic with our health and personal lives.
Why work with us?
- Learn from a team of experts, build connections within the sustainability community, and grow in your career.
- Work in a career that aligns with your values: we truly want to help make Philadelphia (and the planet) a more sustainable, equitable, and healthy place.
- Flexible work environment
- Have fun! We work with sponsors that align with our values, and they’re pretty awesome.
- The opportunity to help shape a startup news/benefit corporation with a mission.
Position’s Primary Responsibilities:
- Build relationships to attract long-term and returning sponsors to Green Philly
- Manage advertising/sponsorship pipeline to prospect, solicit and close sponsorships
- Create internal and external communication (team, sponsors, etc.)
- Participate in events and marketing to ensure sponsor goals are being met
- Provide analytics and reporting of the sales cycle to owner and other key staff
- Responsibilities may shift as the nature of the work evolves.
Desired Competencies + Skills
- Self-motivated, organized, goals and solutions-oriented, positive and proactive with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Proven experience at making sales calls, pitches, and negotiations.
- Creative thinker and persuasive communicator
- Team-player and relationship builder
- Experience and/or willingness to use the following tools: Google, Airtable, Slack, Analytics, Social media advertising,
- Canva, Hubspot/similar sales software.
- At least two years of experience in sales and/or fundraising
- Strong verbal and written, proactive communication. Comfortable in a variety of settings.
You don’t have to know everything, but you must be willing to learn, manage and execute your work to thrive.
We value diversity. We highly encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, women, and differently-abled people.
Start Date: This position begins Monday, January 10, 2022
Finalists notified and invited to interview by November 25th
Interviews held November 29 – December 14th
Finalist notified by December 20th
Rate: ~$20-23/hour with the potential for commission.
Location: Remote in Philadelphia, PA or the greater Philadelphia region.
Hours: Part-time, 32 hours (likely 4 days/week.) Flexible but consistent hours.
WHAT TO EXPECT
This position is largely funded by the LION-Facebook Revenue Growth Sponsorship. You’ll have the opportunity to participate in ongoing training and coaching, and to learn from other fellows in the cohort. The LION-Facebook Revenue Growth Fellowship is a program run by LION Publishers, an association for independent news publishers, and funded by the Facebook Journalism Project. Our newsroom has been selected as part of an inaugural cohort of fellows who will receive training and coaching in a revenue-generating role.
Attend a 12-week training program hosted by LION Publishers’ News Revenue Fellowship
Attend regular coaching sessions
Produce regular progress reports for the LION News Revenue Fellowship to report learnings
- Diversity and inclusiveness. We uplift people from all backgrounds in our stories, award nominees, freelancers/consultants, and event speakers.
- Collaboration and kindness. We are a team environment and encourage collaboration, sharing ideas, resources and caring about one another as individuals. We left the corporate world to reject a negative work environment and strive to create a happy one. We address and confront conflict with these values.
- Opportunity and growth. We’re constantly learning and encouraging our team to discover new skills, hacks and knowledge.
- Knowledge of the Philadelphia Region: Our heart and soul is based in the city of brotherly love and sisterly affection.
- Understanding our region’s nuances will help this candidate thrive.
- Creativity, flexibility and innovation. You can try new ideas, have the energy to try them out, and grow as a professional within this role. We value colleagues who go ask different questions, talk to out-of-the-box mentors, etc.
How to Apply:
Apply via this form. Please include:
A media kit, rate card or sales/development proposal or presentation you’ve created
Apply by EOD Sunday, November 21st.
Questions? Please email Julie Hancher [email protected] with subject line “Revenue Fellow”