PowerCorpsPHL is a City of Philadelphia AmeriCorps initiative, operated in partnership with EducationWorks. Working closely with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, the Philadelphia Water Department, and partners in the public and private sector, PowerCorpsPHL builds opportunities for young people to create promising futures by tackling pressing environmental challenges and developing the skills required to secure meaningful work.
PowerCorpsPHL enrolls disconnected young adults and returning citizens in full-time AmeriCorps service as the strategy to provide career-connected education and paid, work experiences that support Philadelphia’s environmental stewardship, youth violence prevention, and workforce development priorities.
Successful staff and leaders within PowerCorpsPHL embrace their affiliation with AmeriCorps and share a number of common characteristics: commitment to the mission and goals of the program, dedication to their role in achieving those goals, and willingness to work across teams to create and maintain a strong program culture capable of creating opportunity and overcoming challenges.
The PowerCorpsPHL Green Stormwater Infrastructure Maintenance (GSIM) Foreman executes the day-to-day operations for all GSI maintenance and related activities assigned to the GSIM Fellows Crew, including the management/oversight of GSIM Fellows and their daily tasks. The GSIM Foreman plans, assigns, supervises, documents, and participates in the work of the GSIM Fellows Crew. The GSIM Foreman reports to the PowerCorpsPHL PWD Project Manager.
The GSIM Foreman will:
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate members of the GSIM Fellows Crew, including:
- Leading the onboarding, training, performance evaluation, timesheets, critical feedback, and discipline of GSIM Fellows
- Ensuring adherence to organizational policies and procedures such as attendance, timeliness, conduct, professionalism, customer service, etc.
- Plan, assign, supervise, document, and participate in the work of the GSIM Fellows Crew, including:
- Coordinating with the PWD Project Manager on work order and special project priorities
- Managing the quality of work produced
- Promoting a culture of safety and professional work practices
- Recording and submitting data needed to complete assigned work order
- Operate assigned vehicles, equipment, and hand and power tools safely and professionally
- Conduct or coordinate regular vehicle, equipment, and tool maintenance and inventory
- Provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate across the organization both generally and specifically to support GSIM Fellows next steps in their career plans
- Participate in the crew selection process
- Attend program, staff, and community meetings and outreach events as required
- Perform other duties, as requested
Education, Experience & Skills Required
- Minimum of 2 years experience in grounds maintenance, horticulture, landcare, or green stormwater infrastructure maintenance AND,
Thirty credits (30) from an accredited college, university, or training program in nursery, grounds, maintenance, arboriculture, landscape design, or a related field
- Three (3) or more years experience in grounds maintenance, horticulture, landcare, or green stormwater infrastructure maintenance
- Experience managing a team
- Experience with vocational education or youth workforce development, preferred
- Ability to perform the operation of power tools, hand tools and complex power equipment and perform tasks requiring mechanical aptitude
- Strong work ethic and ability and desire to work outdoors in challenging conditions
- Working in extremes of heat, cold or rain
- Heavy lifting, bending and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and organizational skills
- Ability to adapt plans and be flexible on short notice and take initiative to problem-solve
- General proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google applications, and digital reporting
- OSHA-10 certified within one week of hire
- OSHA-30 certified within one month of hire
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record, insurance, and ability to drive a passenger van or pickup truck required
- First AID/CPR Certification preferred