Research and Project Manager
POSITION: RESEARCH AND PROJECT MANAGER
DEPARTMENT: STRATEGY, COMMUNICATIONS, AND PARTNERSHIPS
REPORTS TO: CHIEF STRATEGY AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC) is Philadelphia’s public-private economic
development corporation. As a private, non-profit organization founded in 1958 as a partnership of the
City of Philadelphia and the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia, our mission is to spur
investment, support business growth, and foster developments that create jobs, revitalize
neighborhoods and drive growth to every corner of Philadelphia. We offer flexible financing tools, a
targeted portfolio of industrial and commercial real estate, and decades of Philadelphia-based
knowledge to help our clients invest, develop and grow. PIDC works with companies of all sizes in
every area of Philadelphia. We work on projects big and small with businesses, developers and nonprofits
in every sector.
Over the past 60 years, PIDC has settled more than 7,300 transactions with a diverse range of clients –
including more than $16.6 billion of financing and more than 3,200 acres of land sales – which have
leveraged over $29 billion in total investment and assisted in retaining and creating hundreds of
thousands of jobs throughout Philadelphia.
PIDC is seeking a strategic, collaborative, and entrepreneurial professional to join our team in a new
role as Research and Project Manager. Reporting to PIDC’s Chief Strategy and Communications
Officer, this individual will work across the PIDC organization and with external partners and
stakeholders to conduct research and manage specific, sector-focused strategies, partnerships and
initiatives designed to expand Philadelphia’s job base, position our commercial and industrial land to
attract and retain businesses, increase investment, and grow the city’s tax base. As a key member of
the Strategy, Communications, and Partnerships team, this position will contribute to supporting the
growth and success of PIDC clients, partners and stakeholders and driving new client growth for PIDC.
This position will be responsible for the following key functions:
- Conduct research and analysis using internal and external data sources, including survey creation
and analysis. Synthesize and clearly communicate complex information across the organization.
Track relevant best practices and industry information, and convene internal and external
stakeholders to collect feedback, share, and apply knowledge.
- Identify, develop, and manage strategic economic development initiatives which will position
Philadelphia’s commercial and industrial land to attract and retain businesses and jobs by working
across PIDC’s organization with our real estate, financial services and Navy Yard teams and by
building coalitions with the City of Philadelphia, Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia,
and other partner organizations.
- Select and manage external consultants and engage stakeholders to support research and strategy
development. Develop workplans and ensure that deadlines and deliverables are met.
- Track federal, state, and local policy initiatives relevant to economic growth and commercial and
industrial land development in Philadelphia. Coordinate PIDC’s engagement with policymakers on
behalf of key economic development stakeholders.
- Support business and strategic planning across the organization. Develop and maintain internal
dashboards and key performance indicators.
- Provide data and other support for funding and investment applications across the organization.
Identify funding opportunities, develop, and submit high-quality and timely grant and investment
proposals for strategic economic development initiatives which will position our commercial and
industrial land to attract and retain businesses and investment.
- Coordinate with PIDC Operations team to ensure that reporting and compliance requirements are
met for all funders and to develop and implement short-term and long-term impact and outcome
- Work with PIDC Human Resources department to recruit interns and oversee interns and intern
project deliverables related to this work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in business or liberal arts required (BA or BS degree); an advanced degree
(MS, MPA or MBA) from an accredited college or university is a plus but not required.
- Previous experience in economic development, management consulting, program or project
management, and/or research and policy development.
- Demonstrated experience in a combination of research and analysis, as well as managing strategic
planning through project execution for business and/or economic development programs in an
urban setting preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience as a team player committed to both internal and external collaboration.
- Philadelphia resident at the time of hire or relocation and continued residency within six (6) months
- A valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the key functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the key functions of the job.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and use hands along with fingers, to
handle or feel.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include clarity of vision both near and far with or
without corrective lens.
Interested applicants should submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume along with annual salary
requirements by no later than Friday, October 11, 2019 to:
Marquis Tavon Upshur, PHR, SHRM-CP
Vice President, Human Resources
Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC)
PIDC promotes a culture of inclusion and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex,
sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other
legally protected factor.