Civil Engineer with Sustainable Landscape Construction Specialty
Context and Fit
Studio Sustena, an integrated, landscape architecture and civil engineering practice, is seeking a construction-minded civil engineer to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will have experience in the application of mathematics and science to support the design and creation of outdoor spaces including green roofs and on-ground stormwater management systems.
Focused largely on campuses, urban-infill sites, and landscapes on structure (including green roofs), Studio Sustena champions an integrated approach to landscape architecture and civil engineering that boosts opportunities for distinctive placemaking and high-performance landscapes. We believe that blending these traditionally separate disciplines reduces scope overlaps and gaps; fuels the creative process; fosters enthusiasm around collaborative problem-solving; and frees up budget for the inclusion of high-value landscape design.
We often encounter environments and conditions that are very different than in most conventional engineering projects. We believe it is essential that our engineering approaches continue to adapt in order to solve specific problems and that we develop our approaches from engineering principles and hands-on experience.
- Performance of the civil engineering scope generally related to media design and performance; drainage and seepage flow; and small structure design.
- Engineering analyses in support of development with landscape and green infrastructure design, including but not limited to:Existing site analysis, including drainage and soil assessment.
- Technical drawing production, including permitting drawings; demolition; erosion & sediment control; utilities; grading & drainage vehicular movement; and detailing.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD LT or Civil 3D required. Experience with GIS and/or 3-D Visualization software is a plus.
- Simple structural assessments for retaining walls, ballasted edges, and similar site features (static stability problems and structure deformation under load).
- Wind analysis for green roof designs (based on ANSI standards and application of first principles).
- Tree stabilization using existing and new principles.
- Media review/mix assessment. An understanding of soil science is a plus.
- Irrigation design is a plus.
- Collaboration on all phases of site design to maximize the integrity and constructability of the site infrastructure related to outdoor spaces and stormwater management.
- Assistance with the review and technical assessment of in-progress site construction; facilitation of communications among design consultants and contractors, and preparation of construction-phase documents.
- Openness to consider creative solutions and desire/curiosity to innovate.
- Bachelors and/or master’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
- Construction and/or lab experience preferred.
- PE or related licensure preferred.
This position is an exempt (salaried) position with a competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Studio Sustena is an equal opportunity employer; a diverse pool of applicants is sought. We are committed to growing and preserving an inclusive and engaged culture that welcomes and celebrates our differences. Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and references to Sara Poindexter at email@example.com.
About Studio Sustena
Studio Sustena (formerly called Roofmeadow) is an award-winning, WBE-certified landscape architecture and civil engineering firm based in Philadelphia, PA. We specialize in elegant, inventive landscapes for rooftops and ground-level settings. For 25 years, our multi-disciplinary staff has collaborated on concept design through long-term stewardship, resulting in an unparalleled understanding of lifecycle performance. We bring together proven technologies to solve project-specific technical challenges, while emphasizing beauty within socially dynamic, urban spaces.
Our office environment is open, collaborative, energetic, and dynamic. We value creativity and prioritize individual initiative and adaptive problem-solving skills as part of a small, supportive team. Our site-design portfolio includes institutional, academic, and mixed-use development projects. All Studio Sustena design staff benefit from ample, on-site, construction-review experience in addition to in-office project development.
- Entrepreneurial-minded, team oriented, small office working environment, with opportunities for advancement and growth.
- Flexible and hybrid schedules offered.
- A reduced work week is negotiable.
- Competitive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement, PTO, and holidays.
- Reimbursement for continuing education credits required for professional licensure.
- Dog-friendly office.