The Overbrook Environmental Education Center is currently seeking a Part-time Farmer/Educator to join our team and grow with us!
JASTECH Development Services, Inc., is a 501 (c) (3), not-for-profit, PA corporation established in 1998 to ensure more livable, sustainable, and equitable Philadelphia communities. In 2002, JASTECH established the Overbrook Environmental Education Center (OEEC) in West Philadelphia, a community-based center dedicated to preserving our built and natural environments, improving public health and promoting personal enrichment through literacy and art. For over 20 years OEEC has worked to help multi-generational community members learn about the built and natural environments that influence their quality of life through its programs such as Philly Green Ambassadors (PGA), Overbrook Youth Environmental Stewards (OYES) and Lead Aware Philly and through its comprehensive demonstration of what effect urban agriculture can look like and yield.
This is a part-time position to maintain and cultivate the Overbrook Environmental Education Center’s greenhouse, orchards and facility green infrastructure, education, development, community engagement and planning. As a Farmer and Educator, team members will work on the following:
- Maintain farm site in both the elevated and grade level high tunnels.
- Provide maintenance, planting, watering, growing and de-weeding of crops and greenspaces at the OEEC.
- Develop schedules for watering, planting, maintenance and growing plants, and crops.
- Construct and maintain raised-bed planters in both high tunnels.
- Tour and host both community and student volunteers at the OEEC.
- Work with the OEEC team to assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the center’s farm and green infrastructure including soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, trellising, planting, and composting.
- Assist with all educational activities held on the OEEC Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and scheduling volunteer and student visits.
- Assist with record keeping of harvest yields, disease, and pest control efforts.
Assist in writing weekly blog posts about the Urban Farm.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the OEEC Executive Director or designee
- Familiar with organic and sustainable farm practices
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift to 50lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Ability to develop and deliver educational contentment for youth and mature learners
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Experience with educational children’s programming
- Coursework in introductory education, sociology, sustainability, biology, ecology, or related field
- Valid driver license
PAY RANGE: $18 – $22 / hour
TO APPLY: If you are interested in joining the OEEC team as a Farmer/Educator, please forward resumes and inquiries to [email protected]
Overbrook Environmental Education Center is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. OEEC encourages women, BIPOC, and LGBTQIA+ applicants. OEEC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.