Water Sustainability Program: Program Officer
Spring Point Partners (www.thespringpoint.com) is seeking an experienced professional to work with its Water Sustainability Program Director to develop and manage a portfolio of grants and consultant relationships for Spring Point’s water sustainability program.
Founded in 2017, Spring Point Partners is a social impact venture that blends grantmaking, impact investing, and direct project operations to accelerate ideas that work in four areas: 1) strengths-based youth development, 2) learning innovations, 3) animal welfare, and 4) water sustainability. Spring Point Partners is led by the Philadelphia-based Berwind family and works with a current staff of 21 under the direction of Catherine Murphy. Its mission is centered around the Berwind family values: stewardship, unity, humility, individuality, and direct and honest, open communication. Building on these values, the organization takes a systematic approach to grantmaking and investing, a long-term perspective, and clear expectations regarding outcomes.
Water Sustainability at Spring Point Partners
The water sustainability program at Spring Point Partners is dedicated to revitalizing the nation’s water systems (www.thespringpoint.com/delta/). Through the program, Spring Point works in partnership with thought leaders and industry experts to:
- Advocate for the safe removal of lead service lines to reduce drinking water pollution and protect public health.
- Advance the implementation of green infrastructure solutions such as rain gardens to capture and filter stormwater.
- Strengthen municipal water systems by promoting innovative leadership and resilient utility management practices.
Examples of early activities by the program include: multi-year grants to 11 “Water Innovators” from the non-profit, academic, and for-profit sectors who are advancing innovative approaches to water management; grants to advance green stormwater solutions in Philadelphia; and a set of water-related impact investments.
The Program Officer will report to and work closely with the Program Director, Margaret Bowman, in concert with other Spring Point Partners staff, the family, and other advisors.
The responsibilities of the Program Officer include (but are not limited to):
- Work with the Program Director to implement and refine its strategy of grants, investments, and partnerships to achieve program goals.
- Work with the Program Director to provide quality underwriting of potential grantees and oversight of existing grantees in order to advance the program’s goals and help grantees be successful.
- Work with the Program Director, grantees, and partners to track progress towards goals.
- Work with the Program Director and consultants to convene grantees and others where appropriate to advance the program’s goals.
- Manage relevant consultants to assist with environmental initiatives.
- Coordinate with Spring Point’s operations staff to manage the programmatic administration of grants through the entire life cycle.
- Extract knowledge from grants and partnerships to assist family members and other Spring Point Partners staff with on-going knowledge development.
- Provide public representation of Spring Point Partners in forums related to the environment.
- Stay current on key issues in the relevant subject areas, including the interplay of water sustainability and environmental justice.
- Engage in periodic travel (approximately 1-2 trips/month) to conferences and site visits as necessary.
- Collaborate with program officers in other program areas and other Spring Point staff as needed to ensure consistent implementation of Berwind family interests and values.
- Participate in staff meetings, retreats and events.
- At least five to ten years of professional experience in areas related to environmental issues.
- Domain expertise in water or a related field.
- Experience with philanthropy or family offices is helpful but not essential.
- Experience with developing and implementing complex strategies.
- Proven record of success in working across cultural differences and diverse perspectives.
- Deep interest in working in an organization that is committed to become fully inclusive, diverse, and equitable in its personnel, programs, policies, and practices.
- Comfort with the start-up culture of Spring Point Partners which calls for flexibility, openness to new ideas and approaches, and a roll-up-one’s sleeves attitude.
- Strong analytical skills, including familiarity with program design and budgeting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The highest professional and ethical standards.
- A commitment to social outcomes consistent with Berwind family values and Spring Point Partners’ mission and strategy.
- B.A. required; graduate degree preferred.
Spring Point Partners is being assisted by the national executive search firm, Isaacson, Miller in this recruitment.
Applications and nominations (including resume and 1-3 page letter of interest) should be directed in confidence to:
263 Summer Street
Boston, MA 02210
For more information:
Spring Point Partners, LLC
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org