The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) plays an essential role in the vitality of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living environments, increasing access to fresh food, growing economic opportunity, and building deeper social connections between people. PHS Healthy Neighborhoods team delivers this impact through comprehensive greening and engagement initiatives in more than 250 neighborhoods. Together with community partners, PHS carefully designs projects that build on neighborhood strengths and aspirations to use greening to improve the environment, health and quality of life in their communities. PHS supports community gardeners with educational workshops, gardening supplies and materials, seedlings, access to the PHS tool library, technical assistance, volunteer assistance, and infrastructure improvements. The PHS Green Resource Center at Farm Park is located in East Norriton. Featuring 2 acres of production land, greenhouse, pavilion and solar array, the Green Resource Center is an educational and production hub meant to support gardeners and growers across the region. The Community Gardens Farm Manager plays a leading role in forging and cultivating partnerships to expand our services in Montgomery County. The Farm Manager is responsible for overseeing all function of the PHS Green Resource Center at Farm Park, including seedling propagation and distribution, farm production, educational opportunities for public, volunteer management, and site maintenance. The Farm Manager will also oversee a seasonal staff position and apprentices who will assist with activities on the farm. This position collaborates with municipal and state agencies, existing alliances, organizations, and task forces to advance PHS’s leadership role in community gardens, urban farming and food systems, inform policies, mobilize gardeners to grow and share food, as well as strengthen and build the region’s urban agriculture networks.
This position is currently funded through June 2022. Extension is dependent on future funding.
- Greenhouse Management / Plant Propagation – 25%
- Oversees the development and implementation of the greenhouse plan.
- Manages the Green Resource Center located at Farm Park including plant propagations, distributions, volunteer support, and more.
- Ensures seedlings are grown without chemicals, are healthy, and meet or exceed expectations of PHS, partners and gardeners.
- Maintains accurate inventory of supplies and tools, and sources necessary materials to keep operations running smoothly.
- Farm Management / Production – 40%
- Oversees all aspects of farm management and daily operations on the farm, including the pollinator gardens and overall site maintenance
- Coordinates crop planning, harvests and donations to deliver high quality, organically-grown, and culturally-relevant produce that exceed expectations of partner organizations.
- Tracks farm productivity to inform growing practices and share results. Identifies and implements opportunities to improve productivity.
- Maintains tool inventory in excellent condition, manages supply inventory and purchases when needed.
- Outreach and Engagement – 15%
- Communicates regularly to ensure successful and mutually beneficial relationship with the staff at Farm Park, including coordinated efforts to engage visitors, site upkeep and more.
- Works with Marketing and Volunteer Services to develop a comprehensive and multi-lingual engagement strategies for residents in Norristown, East Norriton and beyond.
- Ensures inclusivity of all farming and education activities to welcome people of various backgrounds, ages, skill level, languages, and capabilities to join in farming efforts.
- Direct Services / Project Support – 10%
- Coordinates with Gardener Engagement and Farm Park staff to create and implement a schedule of educational activities for the public including workshops, work days, tours, mobile workshops and engagement events, and more. Uplifts expertise of local gardeners and partner organizations.
- Provides support with site visits assessing garden needs and providing technical assistance.
- Provides guidance and support during plant and material distribution days.
- Staff Management – 5%
- Hires, manages, and develops team, ensuring that team members set and achieve professional development goals, monitoring performance of all team members and taking disciplinary action as needed.
- Admin – 5%
- Works with Director to manage farm budget and ensure adherence to approved spending allocations, maintenance of project reports and data collection and analysis.
- Supports Director and Development in fundraising and reporting efforts.
SPECIFICATIONS / QUALIFICATIONS
Education / years & type of experience: Five years’ work experience in managing an educational organic farm, crop planning and / or urban agriculture.
Certifications, Licenses, Credentials: Valid driver’s license and clean, safe driving record
Baseline Knowledge & Skills:
- Hands-on experience with urban agriculture and community food systems.
- Demonstrated history of managing a highly productive organic farm
- Knowledge of organic agriculture especially low to no-till techniques and other agroecological practices.
- Technical knowledge associated with greenhouse construction and management.
- Familiarity with the Montgomery County a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct and manage a multidisciplinary team and work collaboratively across diverse organizations and disciplines, both internally and externally.
- Organization skills, attention to details and ability to handle multiple priorities on budget in a timely and reliable manner.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines with a shifting workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent influential, collaborative, and relationship building skills.
- Effective facilitation, community organizing and trainings skills for diverse groups.
- Experience engaging and managing volunteers.
- Highly organized and ability to develop complex crop schedules for greenhouse propagation.
- Diplomatic with excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
Physical requirements (lifting, etc.):
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs. comfortably
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours