The Board of Directors for the Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is now accepting applications for Board members for the 2024 – 2027 term.
As a member of SBN’s Board of Directors, you’ll play an integral role in shaping the strategy, major organizational policies, and direction of SBN going forward. If you’re passionate about advancing SBN’s mission of building a just, green, and thriving local economy in our region, fill out an application today! See below for a brief description of the position and qualifications:
Board of Directors: At-Large Position Description and Qualifications
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is seeking Board members to provide appropriate foresight, oversight, and insight in service of our mission, and work in partnership with the Executive Director to advance SBN’s Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Strategic Objectives.
SBN Vision: We envision a future where businesses are investors in the quality of life for all citizens. We challenge and support the business community to build profitable enterprises that serve community needs, share wealth, and protect the environment.
SBN Mission: The mission of the Sustainable Business Network is to build a just, green, and thriving economy. We accomplish this by educating and growing a broad base of local, independent local businesses and educating policymakers and the general public.
SBN Core Values: Sustainability and Respect for the Earth, Community Self-Reliance and Cooperation, Diversity, Optimism, Authenticity and Accountability, and Pioneering leadership
SBN Strategic Objectives:
- Equity and anti-oppression are embedded in all we do.
- Critical growth industries—the regional food system, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and green stormwater infrastructure—thrive in the region, creating opportunities for diverse small businesses and workers, providing family-supporting wages, enhancing equitable community development, and advancing climate resilience.
- The policies and budget priorities of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and City of Philadelphia support an economic ecosystem that centers localism, protects our environment, and ensures prosperity for all.
- SBN continues to be recognized as the region’s thought and practice leader on local independent business issues, triple bottom line business practices, and an equitable, inclusive, and climate resilient economy.
- The region’s diverse independent businesses are doing well by doing good.
- SBN has the infrastructure, and human and financial assets necessary to achieve our goals.
Our ideal candidates are business owners or leaders with a track record of practicing – and measuring success by – the triple bottom line of people, planet, and profit; a proven ability to provide both strategic and innovative thought leadership; an orientation towards prioritizing the best interests of the Board, organization, and members; a demonstrated record of taking a cooperative and collaborative approach to their work; comfort and confidence in acting as an ambassador and connector for the organization; practiced at engaging in difficult and probing conversations both as a contributor and a listener; and has the capacity to invest the time the organization needs from Board members.
To review the Board director position in full, please find it here: SBN-Board-Member-2024-2027-Job-Posting.
How to apply:
Candidate application forms are available here (or click the below button). Applications are due no later than Monday, October 30, 2023.
All candidates must complete the candidate application form, and include requested submissions detailed on that form. Send completed candidate application forms and/or any questions via email to SBNBoardApp@gmail.com.
SBN values the diversity of our region’s assets, perspectives, and voices. We believe that the broadest possible participation of different races, genders, and other identities is vital to SBN’s continued relevance and our ability to best serve our mission. As such, we strongly encourage people of color, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and other identities to apply for this and all open positions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. SBN’s non-discrimination policy can be found here.